Home | TroyDPatterson.com

Second version of Troy vs Troy

May 22nd, 2009

I’m currently rebuilding in Flash the Troy vs Troy application I built last year whenever I’m sitting on the train. It’s become a little pastime of my for the past few weeks, but I’m attempting to take things a step further this time.

This time around I’m going to attempt to build it with portability in mind. I want to see if I can build it in a way with making minimal code changes, to have it port over to Torque. Of course the huge difference is I have to switch out the assets so that they work within a completely different system, this is mainly just an exercise in prototyping for me. Right now there isn’t much to show I will try to have something up by next Friday.

A browser in a game in a browser

May 21st, 2009

GDC 2009 – Torque 3D Web Demo from GarageGames on Vimeo.

I want my… I want my… I want my Web 3D

May 13th, 2009

I’ve been trying to get Torque game of my own. Move back to Director or move on to Unity.

I don’t know much about Unity, I did play a few games made with it, and I’ve heard buzzing Garage Games’ forum about it. Apparently it’s a competitor… yet it can do web based 3d.

To be far Torque can, technically. But that’s Torque 3D. Which I have to pay $1,000 for that ability. That’s why it took me forever to be able to afford Director. So back to Director. Strangely enough, my biggest beef with doing browser based games with Director is the lack of gamepad/controller support. Sure, most people on home computers don’t use gamepads, but that’s mainly because no one supports it.

I can’t move to Unity3D because I would have to start everything all over again. That would be another 3 years down the toilet.

Monday’s update.

May 11th, 2009

Gross. I hit a major major snag and I’m trying to figure out what to do about it. For the past few weeks I’ve been trying to see if I can buy an older version of 3D Studio Max to no avail. To make matters worse, I tried installing the latest demo on a rendering machine I’m borrowing(until I get my good machine up and running) and it says I don’t have the right kind of processor. It looks like I’m going to have to move to different modeling software to do all of my tests after all.

As far as the engine I’ve been working on goes. I installed some additional code to Torque Game Engine Advance(version 1.8.1) to allow me to use a better camera. After looking at what a bunch of other people have been doing, I feel pretty good about what I can and maybe can’t do with Dig. I have a lot more experimenting to do before I have something solid to show. And I also need a 100% functional test machine… and not something running Windows 7 Beta/RC1.

The browser based plugin I was working on hit another snag as I need to now come up with additional monies in order to afford the version of Visual Studio to easily create the DLLs I need to create. I guess I’m going to have to sell off a few more of the games and stuff I’ve collected over the years to get my money up… or maybe I should stop buying books (I picked up 6 books this weekend at various flea markets) ’cause every little but counts.

I think I found the code I was looking for.

May 7th, 2009

I have a lot of Torquing to do this weekend. That and trying to juggle mother’s day, I have my work cut out for me. I’m going to try my best to post something Monday as an update on progress.

I have GOT to get back in the swing of things.